Tuesday, July 03, 2012

The 51%


The 51%

In this funk I can’t look at others and not judge them for their bodies.
It’s impossible not to compare.
Jealous of anyone smaller than me, and so embarrassed of my jealousy because
I know better. I know that I should love my body as I am
Or at least most of me does.

But that 51% can’t let go of the constant consciousness 
of the roundness of my face, 
folds surrounding my belly, the soft mass of my growing frame
And I’m constantly protesting, disgusted inside, 
“I wasn’t like this last year!”

I, in stark contrast to the protruding angles of the POWs I saw recently
ribs jutting, concave bellies under sunken faces.
Their eyes look bigger. There is 
pain. We both struggle with our bodies
But I, in my plenty, do I have the right?

In these travels, my carefully considered needs 
become heavier the longer I carry them. 
I thought I packed so light
What is this stuff that contributes to my comfort?
Ends up aching my shoulders and back

My blessings of plenty have their own burdens: 
Like endless choices of what to eat.
(and I want to try them all)
So 51% of me knows that a number doesn’t determine
my worth and lovability
But 51 is very close to 49, and for now,
I’m stuck somewhere in between

7.3.12

No comments:

Raw Poetry

My photo
Oakland, CA, United States
Writing my poems has been healing for me, and I find that sharing them has been too. So I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to comment. Did anything resonate with you? Bring up questions? Move you to action?